Installing Enterprise Client on a 2008 R2 Terminal Server
|Important Note: You may require further consultation on the content of this document. You may not have the in-house expertise or the time to apply the instructions included with this document. Either way, Tecsys can help: just contact our support team at SMBSupport@Tecsys.com with a brief description of your issue(s) and one of our technical specialists will contact you directly.
When installing PointForce Enterprise Client on a 2008 R2 server with Remote Desktop Session Host installed, the install may go into what appears to be a loop and never complete.
- A message box titled "Windows Installer Coordinator" will appear with the message "Please wait while the application is preparing for the first use" and its progress bar will simply loop.
This is due to a feature introduced with 2008 R2 that allows multiple users to install software at the same time. The coordinator queues up the install requests and performs the installs one at a time. (At least that is what it is supposed to do.)
When the Remote Desktop Session Host is enabled, by default, the Group Policy for the "Windows Installer RDS Compatibility" is enabled. To disable this group policy:
- Log on to the system with a User that has Administrator Privileges.
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Perform a search for Group Policy.
- The search results should display a link to the "Local Group Policy Editor".
- Once inside the editor, go to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Application Compatibility.
- In the right pane, right click on "Turn off Windows Installer RDS Compatibility" and select Edit from the drop down menu.
- Select the Enable radio button.
- Click OK.
Note: The change takes effect immediately. No need to reboot.
Remember, if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled, you must Right-Click on the installation program and select "Run as Administrator".